ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Industry News / Opinions Will we travel in the cargo hold soon...?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Clem, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Clem

Clem Member

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Sound like Qantas have problems with getting a plane that can do SYD-LHR/NYC economically without only having premium seats like SQ upcoming SIN-NYC flights and is getting creative to solve the problem.

It's Not Stupid If It Works.

Clem likes this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I think it's a long ways away from being reality, but personally, on a 17+ hour flight, I'd much rather have a flat space to lie down and take a nap, stretch my legs, etc. than have a gourmet 5-course meal with tons of menu options and fancy champagne. Especially if that meant paying closer to economy pricing than business pricing.

Clem likes this.
  4. Clem

Clem Member

I agree, for an ultra long haul flight if I can lie down at economy or even premium economy prices I'd be willing to try. But yea, this is not in a near future. I can't even imagine what it's gonna take to certify such an installation

5. Gia

Gia Active Member

Hard to imagine they’d give up the cargo revenue in these long haul flights without charging a lot more for these berths.

6. No Name

@Gia

Giving up cargo is probably the only way Qantas can get a plane capable of doing the flights of this length with current engine technology.

@Clam

The belly is already pressurized so that will not be problem when it comes to certification.

Biggest problem would be escape routes during an emergency.

Easiest way to solve that is to have the belly passengers take a seat for landing and take off, think light weight ULCC style seats here with no/little electronics and minimal legroom in the normal cabin since a small pitch will not matter much for just take off and landing

As a bonus if you bring extra mattress pads you can sell these seats ULCC seats as lay down seats as well, since seat pitch will matter even less when laying down on 3 seats.

7. No Name

rickyw likes this.