ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

AA Companion Upgrade Strategy

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Nick In Chicago, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Hey OMAAT team,
    I am Platinum and my wife currently holds no status so she gets joined with me on the upgrade list. She has a lot of work travel coming up which will qualify her for gold very quickly which to me is a disadvantage because then she will go on the upgrade priority list based on her status and not mine when we fly together. For the times that we travel together if I book her ticket on my reservation but do not includ her advantage number will they catch on and still use her name to match her advantage number and put her in the priority based on her status level? Or if I leave off her AAdvantage # will she get joined with me with AA assuming she has no status? My plan is just to have her call American a week or two later saying we forgot to put her advantage number on the ticket and credit the flight and miles that way.

Thoughts? A work around hopefully?

Thank you,
    Nick

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

Nick, she can continue to get your status priority for upgrades as long as you book under the same record. However, if you're on separate records she could clear based on her own priority (you couldn't do a companion upgrade anyway if you're booked on separate records). So nothing should change for you. :)