ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Africa --> Middle East award options?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Daniel123, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Daniel123

Daniel123 Reader

I'm trying complete my (awesome) award itinerary, and the only missing link is JNB/CPT ---> DXB/AUH/DOH. I have the regular miles (Alaska, American, Chase UR, etc.)

Which rewards currency and airlines can I use to book from South Africa to the Middle East? Any particularly good deals? Thanks!

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

The only use of Alaskan miles possible from Africa to Middle east would be 2 separate award with CX connecting in HKG.
    https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/award-chart/award-chart-Africa.aspx
    Unless you are willing to spend that much miles you can safely overlook Alaska.

If you were doing Africa-Middle East-US on Emirates with a free stopover in the ME it would be different matter of course.

So where are you going after the ME? Are you going to/back to the US sometime in the near future?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Qatar will likely have the best availability, which realistically means AA miles, though the chart is pricey between those two regions.

I can't think of any particularly good deals off-hand otherwise, as most other currencies will incur fuel surcharges, which somewhat washes out the points savings.

4. Sean M.

Sean M. Member

The best value for Africa-ME awards is with Avianca LifeMiles. It is one of the hidden gems in their chart.

Tiffany, No Name and Gaurav like this.