ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Airbus A321 Door 2 boarding?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Mikewarren1000, Aug 14, 2019.

1. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

It may work. Should work? Only time I've accessed FL at LAX was returning from Asia on AA or CX in J, and having an AA F ticket on a redeye. This is where you and I differ - I'd go through that hassle for The Pier F in HKG, but no way just to get Flagship Dining. The FL lounge side is nicer than the AC portion, and the wine is better. But never had FL Dining and in fact after a transpacific flight with two meals I don't know I'd care. In fact, I'd probably head over to In-N-Out on Sepulvada instead. But that's only because we don't have In-N-Out on the East Coast.

And the $59 ticket in HKG only works (to get into CX F lounges) if you are EXP / OWE.

2. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

UPDATE: I'm not sure. Yes, a WN ticket will get you through security. But there is no airside connection from T1. Will a WN boarding pass definitely get you into TBIT? I don't know. Even if it does, I *think* Qantas F Lounge requires a same-day onward flight, not arriving. You should check. And while your BA arrival will get you into the AC, the last time I returned from Asia through LAX (12 months ago - I prefer DFW for East Coast connections - and the 757 Int'l config w/ flatbed :D) I was giving a printed Flagship Lounge pass. Not sure if BA will give you one without an onward flight. I'm just not sure. I am sure I wouldn't go through this hassle for FL dining.

Gaurav likes this.
  3. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a hub captive at PHL and he takes the train to PENN Station and on to JFK where he can get some reasonable prices on Premium Cabin travel to Europe. It’s about two hours but worth the big bucks he saves on airfare.

4. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

I only live 20 minutes from PHL (not in rush hour!). My record door to gate is 19 minutes (in Uber) and that was for a flight to Europe. My record door to gate driving myself is 23 minutes. More importantly, I am something like 11 for 12 using SWUs on my last 6 transatlantic flights. And always clear on the way over. My one miss was a LHR to PHL return. I just don't find it worth it save $200 on average for Y (JFK over PHL). Now if AA completely devalues SWUs (like Y to PY) I'll rethink going to JFK for J.

I am always willing to risk East Coast to Europe in Y or PY. For Asia, I pinch my pennies elsewhere to put my $ to J.

5. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

@OCTinPHL - My friend is a retired guy buying discounted J and doesn’t have status on any airline, he just travels once or twice a year to Europe to visit friends and family. He’s a free agent and uses different airlines, not just AA. Recently he booked AA Flights from JFK-FCO, with the outbound nonstop to FCO and the inbound FCO-PHL-JFK, and got off at PHL. The fare difference was $2600.

Gaurav likes this.
  6. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

In his shoes I would do the same thing!

7. Mikewarren1000

Yes its not worth it. I am telling my friend we will meet on Sepulveda somewhere. Dont think time will permit for Santa Monica or Marina Del Ray dinner.. I agree on this one its too much of hassle and also i am thinking you're right that arriving not an onward flight i may not get in since its not on AA.. You win here but i will continue to go out of my way for premium service and flat bed seats domestically :)

OCTinPHL likes this.
  8. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

You live there, I don't. But I think you should have time to make it to Manhattan Beach for dinner even w/ the 10:30 redeye to CLT. For sure with the midnight redeye. Even with traffic Manhattan Beach is 20 minutes each way. If he has TSA Pre there should be no problem.

9. Mikewarren1000

Its the earlier of the 2 red eyes. Guess a lot depends on my inbound from Heathrow on BA and customs. Got some time to figure this one out. Worst case if i am delayed and it doesnt work out and i cant get into Flagship dining on the BA F arrival i will just fly to Charlotte (via JFK for premium transcon) and then take him to dinner :):)