ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Am I crazy for booking Asiana award tickets for 2020?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Rico, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Rico

Rico New Member

Hello,

Just used Chase points to book J SEA->ICN->KIX on Asiana via United.com. It was the only award option for the day we we wanted to fly in May 2020. With all the financial trouble at Asiana, is this a bad idea or do you think United will pick up the slack if they cancel the flight or are out of business? Return is on JAL with Alaska miles. I guess worst case backup idea if we get screwed is to pay actual cash for a Delta economy ticket direct SEA->KIX. The horror, the horror. (Actually I'd be OK with that Delta flight for a return since it's only about 9.5,hrs vs HIJ->HND->SFO->SEA in J for 20 hrs total travel time, but the outbound is 11.5hrs)

Thanks for your input,
    Rico

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

United should cover you on their ticket.

OCTinPHL likes this.
  3. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

I think you are fine. First, I am hardly an expert, but I doubt Asiana is going to "go away". Restructure, probably. Cost-cut? Already has. Drop routes? Maybe, but I think it already has this past winter or spring. SEA - ICN is an important route. Bet it is still there come spring. Second, it is a United award. United will reaccommodate you should the highly unlikely happen and Asiana is not around.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. Rico

Rico New Member

Thanks for your comforting posts. Too bad the Delta One awards were 240,000 miles r/t. Direct flights woulda been nice. (and I don't have any Delta miles)