ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Amex "Changing" Fare Rules after booking???

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by gdawson03, May 25, 2020.

1. gdawson03

gdawson03 Reader

Hi Lucky/OMAAT community,

So just got off my 6th!! call and 4th email chain with Amex Platinum Travel supervisors on a particularly sticky issue related to a SA Airways flight I am trying to cancel and something doesn't sound right here but wanted to get some perspective. So here we go.

• Booked oneway MAU-JNB on SA Airways for 2Pax dep 5/31/20 direct with Amex Travel on 7/16/19
    • Due to Covid, SA has now canceled flight.
    • In the fare rules (that I reviewed prior at purchase and saved to my computer) linked to my flight, it clearly shows that flights originating Botswana can be canceled & refunded for a 25% fee
    • Upon calling Amex they are now saying "the rules can change and it is now 50%"
    Something about this doesn't sound right....no? On top of the crappy customer experience for a "valued" platinum cardmember for over a decade for a total of $150.....but that's another day.