ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Amex green card collision damage waiver insurance (cancel card after submitting claim)

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by g1992, Sep 1, 2020.

1. g1992

g1992 New Member

Hi,
    I currently have the Amex Green Card and have just submitted a claim under the collision damage waiver insurance. My next annual fee is due on my 25th Nov statement, and I was hoping to cancel the card before the next annual fee was charged.
    I assume that this would be OK to do even if my claim has not been settled by that time? IE my claim would continue as normal as I was fully insured at the time of the collision and claim, even if I subsequently cancel the card.
    Many thanks for your help,
    Alex

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

That would make sense to work that way, but I probably wouldn't risk it. Is the value of your claim pretty high? I'd keep the card open til the claim is settled, just to be safe. Amex is good about refunding a prorated portion of the annual fee, if you cancel shortly after the fee is due.

g1992 likes this.
  3. g1992

g1992 New Member

Thanks for your answer rickyw.

The claim is for substantially more than the fee, so you are correct it might be safer to just keep it.

I am based in the UK and know that UK Amex card always give a monthly pro-rata refund of the annual fee when cancelled. The green card is one of my US cards, and I thought Amex in the US had changed t&c's to not give out pro-rata refunds any longer when cancelling? If I could get a pro-rata it would definitely make sense to keep it.

4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

g1992 likes this.
  5. g1992

g1992 New Member

Yes, I did google and find out about the extra 30 days (which gives me til 25th Dec or so, so should be OK!) - but that link is really helpful, great to know!

Thank you :)

rickyw likes this.