ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Amex travel Vs. booking direct on hotel’s site

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by MMM, Oct 1, 2019.

1. MMM

MMM Member

I’m wanting to perhaps get 5x points using my Amex Plat & booking hotel on Amex travel site. But in doing that, does that mean I will be foregoing the elite benefits of Hilton Gold (I’m mainly interested in a higher chance of a late checkout) Vs. if I were to book direct through Hilton? Other option is just to use Chase Reserve & booking direct. Thanks!

2. Clem

Clem Active Member

Yes, I believe that unfortunately you won't get elite benefits (although you could still ask at the front desk). The only case you will get elite benefits through is if the hotel is part of the Amex FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts program).

MMM and MidSouth Skier like this.
  3. MMM

MMM Member

Thanks!

4. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Well-Known Member

I would take the 5x points over late checkout any day (and I say that as HH Diamond). How important to you is having the room? Do you need the room (and the shower)? If not, just check your bags with the bell hop. Is this a Hilton property that has a gym (with showers)? I find the late check-out to be a relatively minor benefit in the grand scheme of things. Of greater importance to me is WiFi on the day I am checking out (in which case late checkout can help, unless the property has free WiFi).

MMM likes this.