ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries Any Ideas for a flight/transport out of LHR to ZRH today or tomorrow?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Nick Art, May 27, 2017.

1. Nick Art

Nick Art Member

Well, today has been a catastrophic day for traveling on BA. Flight from Belfast delayed and then stuck for over 6 hours in the Terminal Five not receiving any updates regarding any flights, especially mine to Zurich. I sadly missed to book another ticket through Swiss early enough and now they're all booked out until Monday. (*hits himself with fist*)

I'm here to get some ideas from you, get as crazy as you want, (yes taking the flight over doha or Dubai is an option), to get to Zurich from London either today or tomorrow.

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Heathrow at the moment! Personally, I'd probably hop on the train (Eurostar to Paris and then on to Zurich).

Good luck!

Gaurav likes this.
  3. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Can you get up to Birmingham? It seems you'd have a number of options, including Aer Lingus back to DUB and then to ZRH. SWISS flies non-stop BHX-ZRH though of course they're *A and not oneworld. But BHX has a number of options to get you to Europe and I bet lots of them connect to ZRH.

Good luck!

4. Nick Art

Nick Art Member

You're right. It's ugly. Very ugly. I tried the Eurostar but the train is booked out. i didn't even know that was possible.

rickyw likes this.
  5. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Wow. That's definitely a first!

6. Nick Art

Nick Art Member

Fun Fact: That's what I did. Although Swiss and Aer Lingus and Lufthansa are all booked out, only some phantom space. (BA was only booked becayse they were the fastest to Belfast)I tried several hours of internet searches and calls and well Swiss, Lufthansa were no help having no seats at all (I couldn't believe it) even with some creative routing through Barcelona etc. Horrible. A Nightmare. Only flight with some availability is tomorrow evening to vienna or to frankfurt with a price tag of a Long Haul First Class Ticket... Also over Palma or Paris for 2k...Obviously only when you booking the flights separately...

I ended up booking this: Birmingham - Biarritz with Flybe departing 8:40 arriving 11:40
    Biarritz - Geneva - Zurich with Etihad Regional departing 13:55 arriving 17:50
    (The GVA-ZRH Plane Is EMPTY!!!! Can you believe it?) This stuff did cost me an international Business Class Ticket on Swiss.

I think I mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. BA sucks. You give them a chance once and this happens. I mean their customer support is INEXISTENT. No updates or food tags whatsoever. The Screen in LHR probably still shows departure at 14:15.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  7. Nick Art

Nick Art Member

Here some pics of a friend of mine, Ben Patterson: Absolute Chaos and Madness.

rickyw likes this.
  8. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

Wow! I was in the same position as one of those photos a few weeks ago and was saying to myself how empty it was. Can't believe how many people are in those pictures!

9. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

I hope you get significant compensation from BA. I feel your pain - I was stuck at LHR for two days once on an ATC computer breakdown.

10. omaat123

omaat123 New Member

Did you get any compensation?

11. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

12. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

@Ommat123 - Not for that event because it was an ATC issue not an airline problem. I have however received the maximum compensation from BA twice in the past three years for flight cancellations. It wasn't easy and it took a long time. They do everything possible to pi$$ you off and discourage you from pursuing it. I refuse to fly with them now under any circumstances. As an AA and One World loyalist, the BA issue is a huge problem for me routing within the EU which often requires extra time and money to avoid booking them or most often going with another carrier, usually one in the Star Alliance or Sky Team.