ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Best way to get to BCN using AAdvantage miles?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Jordan L., May 4, 2019.

1. Jordan L.

Jordan L. Reader

Hi there,

I've been a long time reader of the blog and am struggling on finding a routing that makes sense for my fiancee and I on our honeymoon. I currently have 245K miles with AAdvantage and am trying to get us from MCO to BCN to board a cruise sailing out of BCN. We're looking to leave MCO on 4/16/20 (or 4/15/20) and leave BCN for the return leg on 4/26/20. My hope is to be able to book business class because I have the miles for it and it's our honeymoon.

I know that airfare won't be released for another few weeks so I've been looking at late March flights to get some rough ideas in mind but am struggling to find anything that makes sense for us. I was looking using (the old) AAdvantage search tool but the only thing that shows as available for late March is on BA, which I'd like to avoid because of the insane fuel charges. Does anyone have suggestions on anything else I could try?

Thanks!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

AA flies to BCN seasonally from CLT, ORD and PHL, so they may open awards on those flights. Keep checking.

You may find seats on Iberia. Try searching for flights byu segment, instead of MCO-BCN. Find and secure the Trans-Atlantic flight then try to find space for the domestic connection or purchase it separately.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Since you need specific dates for a honeymoon and really want to fly J, you might consider biting the bullet and booking the flights with BA (with the high surcharges for now). Then I would use something like expert flyer to set alerts on AA legs that would work for you and monitor space. If something opens up you can change your AA routing without penalty as long as the origin and destination stay the same. Your BA surcharges will be refunded. Good luck.

rickyw likes this.