ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Bonvoyed: No bonus on international Marriott stays?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by JohnnyBoy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Reader

Have others had this issue? I can find nothing about it on this site or elsewhere. If true, the Marrriot co-branded Amex cards just got substantially less value. And I closed my Marriott Chase Visa, because I thought that it completely overlapped with the Amex Brilliant card.

I just got a nasty surprise from Amex regarding the Brilliant card. After spending $1500 on a stay at a Marriott 'International' hotel in Switzerland, Amex would not give me the 6X points offered on the card. They said that the charges need to be in US dollars even though the Cardmember Agreement on their site right now only says this: You receive 4 additional Points (for a total of 6 Points) for each $1 of eligible purchases on your Card Account charged directly with participating Marriott Bonvoy properties (excluding home share properties), standalone Marriott branded retail establishments, and Marriott branded online stores (including online purchases of Marriott branded gift cards), that in each case, are owned or managed by Marriott International, Inc. and its affiliates.

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

International charges are converted to US dollars by the bank (in this case, Amex) so your statement would show the US dollar amount, with the transaction details stating what the original currency and amount was. 6x should be based on the converted US dollar amount...

I'd call again to speak to someone else, and escalate of necessary.

Given that some of Amex's cards have a bonus specific to US only, the terms should state that it's only eligible for US properties and it does not in this case.

rickyw, Gia, Gaurav and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Second that. Don't be afraid to escalate to a supervisor if necessary.