ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating Business Class on Qatar Airways or Etihad?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Shehryar, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

Hi all,
    In about a month or so, I will be flying to Zurich from Islamabad. Since PIA doesn't fly to Zurich, I am gonna go on one of the Mideast carriers. I checked Emirates Business Class, and It's still an option, but it's nothing so superior and thus I haven't focused on it. Instead, Etihad and Qatar are both offering a great product for a less price.

- Etihad has their A320 flying out of ISB and then their 787 to ZRH.
    - Qatar has their 77L/A332 out of ISB and then their 787 to ZRH.
    - Emirates has their 773 out of ISB, and then their 380 to ZRH.

So, you must have guessed, I want to know from your personal experience which airline is better?
    Emirates is considerably more expensive, but I am willing to pay extra for quality. Etihad is about $2000 or so less than QR.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. Thomas_888

Thomas_888 New Member

Tough decision between Qatar and Etihad, because it is the new Etihad business class in the 787. If it was the old product from Etihad, I would go QR>EY>EK.
    The business class in the 787 from Qatar is great and I think their catering is the best of the three.
    On the other hand, I have never tried the new EY business class on the 787, so I'd personally try it out if I had the chance. It looks super nice in the pictures.
    So for this special case I'd take EY>QR>EK.
    Emirates has a bar on the A380...OK... but I like the other two much better for the product itself.

edit: OK, the first part of the flight from EY is on a A320 with recliner seats I guess and the other ones have flat beds on the Islamabad to Doha/Dubai.
    In this case I'd take Qatar.

Shehryar likes this.
  3. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

@Thomas_888 Thanks so much :) It really helped. Considering the A320 and recliners, I am a bit double-minded, but I won't be considering EK :) Probably will take Qatar, since I am a sapphire with oneworld :)

Thomas_888 likes this.
  4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Shehryar It seems like the ISB-AUH flight is ~3 hours (EY lists 3hrs 20mins I think but they tend to exaggerate their flight times). For me personally I would say that's not enough time for flat/recliner to make a difference. I would focus on the product you want to try from AUH to ZRH.

5. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

@Gaurav So you like Etihad's product better? ;)

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I haven't flown their new J class on the dreamliner (going to try it IAD-AUH in Dec) but it looks really cool from what I've seen online. If the schedules aren't a huge difference for that difference in price I would go EY :).

Shehryar likes this.
  7. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

8. Nassir

Nassir New Member

@Shehryar I would absolutely pick the Qatar Airways flights. As a person who have flown all the airlines above in Business and First, Id say that the whole experience is better with Qatar. Etihad's new product is good, but not as solid as Qatar's, on emirates the cabin is just crammed which makes the experience less special. Dinning is definitely a win for Qatar here. And the most important part for me is the ground experience. Etihad's lounges are unpleasant and small. Emirates are too big and too packed. In qatar you will see the new al Mourjan Business class lounge. For me Etihad is like Hyundai they have good looking products but when experienced they are not as good, and after time the product age, and CLASS is misssing. Emirates is like Mercedes, there are a lot of them out there they have good looking products and services but they just have too many cars (packed not soo special). Qatar is like Rolls-Royce or Bentley. They have an amazing comfortable product, they care so much about the detail and they have class and amazing service.

9. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

@Nassir, thanks for the detailed comparison :) I asked my friends and they too said Qatar. The thing is I have flown Qatar and Etihad first class countless times, and the old QR product didn't appeal to me. However, seeing their changes in cabin and refurbishment, they look much better now. I flew Qatar J once in 2007 because usually I do my trips on Cathay. Just one more question, if anyone can answer: What's the seat load on Qatar, because their seats aren't very private, and I hate crowded cabins!
    Thanks in advance :)

10. Nassir

Nassir New Member

11. Nassir

Nassir New Member

@Shehryar on Emirates b777 there are 42 seats in one cabin in an uncomfortable 2-3-2 seats. On their a380 they have 76 seats in one packed cabin. On etihad they have a small a320 cabin, and on their b787 they have 28 strangely configurated seats Which gives you feeling of a small seat. On qatar b777 They have 42 separated in 2 cabins in 2-2-2 config. On there 787 they have 22 seats in comfortable 1-2-1 config.

12. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

@Nassir, Ah thank you. I will now probably book QR :)

13. Nassir

Nassir New Member

@Shehryar your welcome, after flying any of the 3 airlines please tell me if you've enjoyed your flight

14. Shehryar

Shehryar New Member

I certainly will :)