ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Can I upgrade a Qatar Airways flight with American miles?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Brian Snyder, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Brian Snyder

Brian Snyder New Member

I booked a Qatar Airways flight from Seychelles to Chicago with cash because I didn't have enough AA miles to book it with points at the time. Now I have a bunch of AA miles. Is there a way for me to use those miles to upgrade from coach to business? Thanks!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Assuming you purchased thru Qatar Airways directly, or an OTA that worked directly with QR, no you cant.

3. RTBones

RTBones Member

David has hit the nail on the head - it is all about who you bought your ticket through. If you went through Qatar Airways or an OTA, the answer would be no because AA would have to 'own' the ticket to modify it. If however you booked via AA then the answer would be yes. I have had this happen to me with AA/BA a time or two.