ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Canadian credit cards

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Jackie, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jackie

Jackie Reader

Would you know anything about Canadian credit cards and which ones would offer the best type of points? If you don't, how do I find out this information?

Thanks,
    Jackie

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@Jackie -- We do, and let me see if I can get a post together on that. In general, you want to look at cards with transferable points (Membership Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, and RBC Avion are good picks).

3. Sean M.

Sean M. Member

I've been using the RBC Avion for the better part of the last decade and find it to be a card well worth the annual fee. You earn 1 point per Can$ on all spending, and 1.25 points per Can$ on travel spending. These points then transfer 1:1 to British Airways, American Airlines or Cathay Pacific's programs - but there are also regular promos that offer 50% bonus to BA, 25% bonus to AA and 20% bonus to CX. That means nearly 2 Avios per Can$ (nearly 2.25 Avios per US$) on travel spending if you transfer at the right time, which is a great deal when the Can$ is weak like right now. The only drawback is the Foreign Transaction Fees, but for air tickets and prepaid hotels you can usually get a Canadian website to price in Can$ to avoid this.

The main reason I keep the RBC Avion though is for the other benefits. The insurance in particular is one of the simplest to work with. I've had 2 rental car accidents when renting with the card and in both cases, it was as simple as notifying insurance that the damage had taken place and then just waiting for them to tell me a few weeks later that everything else was sorted out. Same thing with flight delay insurance - just send the proof of delay and expenses, and the credit showed up within the same statement cycle. I definitely recommend this card for Canadian users who are not chasing Aeroplan miles.

No Name and Tiffany like this.
  4. JerryH

JerryH New Member

5. Harold T

Harold T New Member

I just discovered that MBNA offers the Alaska Airlines Mastercard to Canadians with a 25000 point bonus. The points can be used on American Airlines which serves many Canadian cities and can get you to pretty much anywhere outside Canada. It serves Montreal, which works for me personally and even has a regional airline PenAir out of Plattsburgh,NY that flies to Boston and again connects pretty much anywhere from there. Not sure what people think about the Alaska Airlines progam vs. Aeroplan or Avios.

6. Chul

Chul New Member

I have TD Aeroplan and Amex Gold Rewards and TD Aeroplan is due for another annual fee in couple of months and Amex still has a full year left on it as I just made again. If were to keep one of those two, which one is worth keeping / paying annual fee?

7. Cal

Cal Member

The Amex Gold offer 2 MR points per $ on gas groceries and drug stores as well as eligible travel whereas TD only offers 1.5 Aeroplan (with travel limited to AC). Given that you can transfer MR to aeroplan 1:1 plus the fact that there are often bonus transfers to aeroplan 1.25:1 you will earn more with the Amex. You can also transfer to Avios 1:1 (for now) for more flexibility as well. I think you also get a hotel credit thing with your card too? You will have to decide whether the 150CAD$ annual fee is worth more than the TD 120CAD$ fee.

That said if you travel AC a lot you get priority boarding and lounge access with your TD card on AC and ACr. I will say that in my experience I like to board early on AC flights since many Canadian flyers are real jerks with the overhead bins. Thank god I don't fly with them as often anymore.

Caveat: As a Canadian I got out of the Aeroplan game a while ago and moved to flexible points systems as the AP fees got out of hand. I was recently looking at getting back into the Aeroplan (ultimately I did not) hence the reason I brushed up on the cards. I have no experience with these cards (just recent research!).

8. Cal

Cal Member

a little late to reply but FYI there has not been an AA bonus transfer in quite some time (over two years I think). According to some threads on flyertalk RBC has said it is unlikely there will be anymore in the near future. BA and CX tend to have more bonus transfers since they have other co-branded credit cards with RBC.

That said, I so far, quite enjoy my RBC card. I have used it quite often to transfer to AA and BA (50% bonus twice a year!)

9. Chul

Chul New Member

another thing I notice with Amex MR is that when I transfer AMEX point to AP, it doesn't count towards Air Canada Distinction status. do you think it's worth holding to it, the only time I benefit from Distinction status is when I make some big purchase from Apple online store as I get 2x points. I fly more with other *A carriers than AC (I fly with OZ to Asia/ UA to US lot more) I think Amex seems better option for me.

+ I only get lounge / priority boarding access IF i am doing *award* travel with AC.. :( higher tax imposed to AC award flights keeps me away from redeeming miles to fly with AC...

10. Cal

Cal Member

I believe only Visa aeroplan points count towards AP (not AC) Distinction (someone correct me if I am wrong). I have never held any Aeroplan Distinction status and cannot really comment. I suppose that if you have enough AP points to be able to redeem for the market fare awards (versus the standard awards) then it could be worth it for the %savings.Distinction does not seem very valuable (to me).

11. Chul

Chul New Member

so at the end.. looks like Amex seems better option than me than TD AP. thanks!