ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Cancellation Timing

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by RichP, Dec 16, 2018.

1. RichP

RichP New Member

Looking to cancel my Chase UAL card and add the Chase Sapphire Preferred to go along with my
    Chase Freedom card. Any suggestions on timing of cancellation vs application? I shouldn't have any problems with 5/24, % of usage, etc.

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @RichP - how long have you had the UA card and when is it due to expire? If you haven't had it for a year, I'd wait until just before the annual fee is due. In general I try to cancel around the time it's due for renewal just because it can help with the Average Age of Accounts portion of your credit score. But if you've had it for awhile and don't see any imminent use, go ahead and cancel now.