ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Chase Ink Plus Application - Should I bother?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Phoebe, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Phoebe

Phoebe New Member

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to apply for my next round of cards which are:
    Chase Marriott
    Citi HHonors
    Amex SPG Business
    Chase Ink Plus

I do not anticipate any issues with other cards; however, for the Ink Plus I definitely exceeded 5 applications in the last 4 months. I pulled my credit report on Experian (which is usually where Chase pulls from when an application comes in...or so I heard) and for this specific bureau I am coming in JUST under 5 pulls on record for the last 24 months.

My questions are:
    1. should I bother to apply for the Ink Plus? If they pull from other bureaus as well then I may be out of luck.

2. If I go ahead and apply for the card, should I apply for this one first and hold the other applications until I have a confirmed approval for the Ink Plus OR should I apply to all 4 at once?

Thank you!!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Phoebe From what has been reported it is not the number of inquiries but the number of new card accounts that have been opened in the past two years. I believe these get reported to all the credit bureaus even though inquiries may only go to one of them so it doesn't seem there is any way around it. Assuming you apply for cards regularly I would pick another card.

Phoebe likes this.
  3. Phoebe

Phoebe New Member

@Gaurav Thank you I think that makes sense...I just really need a card with high bonus for my cellphone/cable/tv bills....I guess that will have to wait until 2017...

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Phoebe Won't help unless you are planning to abstain from card applications for two years.

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

The only thing you might try, and I haven't seen anyone report this is, is to try to apply for a business card with Chase for a co-branded product like UA or SW. Then after a year, try to product change to an Ink Cash or Plus card. You won't get the sign up bonus of course but if you want a card with bonuses in those areas you might get lucky.

6. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I thought personal and business cards are separate from one another? Am I not understanding something correctly?

7. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@David W, they are. What conflict are you seeing?

8. David W

I've only applied for one business card in the recent past, but quite a few personal cards - 5 if I;m not mistaken. I was considering applying for either the Ink or Ink Plus cards in the next few months.

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@David W from everything I've read, it's going to be tough for you to get the Ink if you've had five new accounts in the last two years. Let us know if you're successful though, would be great :)!

10. David W

Will do. Also considering the business SPG Amex

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

That shouldn't be an issue as long as you haven't held it in the past 12 months.

12. Phoebe

Phoebe New Member

@David W I agree with @Gaurav regarding the ink plus as it was listed as one of the cards affected by Chase's new strategy along with Sapphire preferred, Freedom and Slate even though it is a business card...please also let me know how it goes :)

@Gaurav it looks like a tradeoff between sign up bonuses vs. more points on cable/cellphone bills if David W has no luck...haha. I really wish Chase will revert back to its old ways rather than other banks follow suit...