ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Chase Sapphire & Avianca

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by JR Harrison, Apr 10, 2019.

1. JR Harrison

JR Harrison New Member

My head is spinning trying to learn how to use points.

I always fly Avianca to South America. I have mileage accrued in Lifemiles. I have just been given a Chase Sapphire card that states if I spend so much in 3 months, then I will be awarded 60,000 points.

Can I use those points with my Lifemiles? And how I would I do that? Thank you

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Chase Sapphire earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points. You can transfer them to several different airlines, but not Lifemiles, so you cant combine them together.

However:

You can transfer the Chase points to Singapore Airlines or United, both of which can book award travel on Avianca

Thru Chase's UR travel portal, you can book flights on Avianca, and pay with points. A flight booked with this method will earn you Lifemiles because it's essential a paid ticket.

You can transfer Chase UR points to several other airlines, including Aer Lingus, AirFrance, British Always, Iberia, jetBlue, Southwest and Virgin Atlantic. Once transferred, you can use the miles to book award flights on those airlines or their partner airlines for travel.

If you want a credit card that can transfer points to Lifemiles, look into cards that earn points with Marriott Bonvoy, American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, and CapitalOne (certain cards only).

Lastly, Lifemiles has their own US-based credit card that earns Lifemiles directly.

rickyw likes this.
  3. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @JR Harrison -
    to help make sense of the different kinds of miles & points I'd suggest clicking on the Beginner's Guide (under the Start Here tab at the top of the page)

You can also check out Ben's YouTube channel. The video covering different types of points & miles can be found here: