ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!


Connecting in HKG with Two Separate Reservations

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by TrevH, Aug 7, 2019.

  1. TrevH

    TrevH Reader

    Given the ongoing strikes at HKG, I am just trying to prepare in advance. I am scheduled to fly from JFK-HKG-HAN on Cathay, thanks to the mistake fare that you wrote about on New Years Eve. I am then connecting from HAN-NRT on JAL using an award ticket booked with AA miles. In the event of a cancellation/delay on the Cathay flights, what options would potentially be available to get me to NRT? Who would I even contact if this happens:

    (1) Cathay - would they try to re-accommodate because they are a OneWorld airline (I think OneWorld used to have this policy, but I think it was eliminated in 2016?)?

    (2) JAL - let’s say I got stuck in HKG, would they try to get me on a flight from HKG-NRT, even though I was originally booked from HAN-NRT?

    (3) AA - would they re-accommodate at the last minute (since I used AA miles to book the ticket)?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I’m really just trying to get a sense of where I should start to pursue things if it becomes necessary. Thanks in advance!
  2. rickyw

    rickyw Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    How long do you have on the ground in HAN? I'd give yourself a buffer in case your flight on Cathay is delayed/cancelled. I think you would be 100% on your own if you can't make it to HAN, since you are on separate reservations. You may also want to book a back-up flight HKG-NRT just in case.
  3. Trevor H

    Trevor H New Member

    Likes Received:
    Thanks. I have about 5h on the ground in HAN, so a non substantial delay should be ok. I’m more worried about a cancellation.