ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ngockieg

ngockieg New Member

I have a dilemma here - wanting to use AA miles for first on Etihad A380 for early next year.

The JFK > AUH route has availability a week out, but nothing further out.
    The AUH > JFK route has availability on Jet Airways for next year (book this as a holder)

Question is - should I book JFK > AUH and keep changing the date further out or book AUH > JFK and hope that the A380 flight opens up closer to the date?

Or am I completely off?

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@ngockieg Have you looked at the non-380 flight from JFK-AUH? Or other routings say JFK-IAD-AUH? You *should* be able to change the routing to the 380 if/when space opens.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Just FYI the space visibility embargo for AA still seems to be in effect. Australia was able to see an book space right away that US could not even see.

Tiffany likes this.
  4. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Yeah, y'all would be horrified at my Google Voice bill this month...

Gaurav likes this.
  5. ngockieg

ngockieg New Member

@Gaurav - thanks for the tips!

6. Hi Lucky,
    Do you know if Etihad is not showing award seat availability for the next 330 days? I tried your suggestions from older posts i.e. book thru American airlines Australia calling number, etc. I don't see any Etihad award availability past April-May on the Etihad website. AA Platinum desk doesn't seem to see either. Do you know what's going on?
    Thanks.
    Subru Subramanyam

7. Vr Subramanyam

Vr Subramanyam New Member

Hi Lucky,

I tried all the tricks you have listed your posts on the topic but I am still unable to plan for travel on Etihad using AA miles any time after Sept 2016? Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    VR

8. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Hi @VR, and welcome! Check out the thread at the top of the page with tips on booking Etihad. Space is very limited at this point, and US-based agents can't see it regardless.

Jacob McCarthy likes this.
  9. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

is the best way still for booking Etihad using AA miles calling AU call center?

10. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Vr Subramanyam If you are checking the EY website directly for award space and checking alternate routings other than directly from your most convenient airport, there really is no other way. As @Tiffany mentions people are making bookings now to beat the devaluation so space is likely limited. I was able to find space for next January this past week but you'll have to spend some time looking.

@Jacob McCarthy, yes definitely still have to call AU.

11. Vr Subramanyam

Vr Subramanyam New Member

Thanks all for your help.
    VR

12. Jacob McCarthy

at AU center do they have the problem where two seats are open and they can only see one until that first one is put on hold/booked?

13. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Jacob McCarthy I did not experience that. Haven't seen that be an issue with EY either.

14. Jacob McCarthy

that's good :)

15. series

series New Member

Has anyone tried to reschedule placeholder awards yet? I had placeholder award booked on Etihad in F and just tried to move them forward to an earlier flight and AA told me that there would be a difference in points based on the new chart.

Wondered if I just got an agent who didn't know what they are doing and if I should call back again.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  16. series

series New Member

Nevermind. Was an agent who didn't know what they were doing.

Tiffany and MidSouth Skier like this.
  17. AHB

AHB Reader

Hi, is it possible that AA Australia has availability for a first class seat JFK-AUH but it doesn't show on Etihad's website?

Also there is availability on EY's website for the last leg of my trip AUH-BLR but AA Australia is not able to see it....

I am trying to change my departure date to be able to flight on the A380, I've been calling twice a day to see if they are able to find the AUH-BLR availability

Thanks

18. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I'd keep calling. Generally whatever shows on EY's site is bookable by AA Aus but you never know when an IT glitch or other program might come up, causing issues.

It could be possible that AA Aus can see a seat thats not on EY's site. Call and ask. I was already to book CX J based on availability I found online but when I called the agent told me F was available so I grabbed that seat. It wasnt showing on BA's site at the time though.

19. AHB

AHB New Member

David Thanks for the response.

When trying to change my current award ticket there is no availability but for some reason there is award availability if you issue new tickets separately JFK-AUH and then AUH-BLR but it wouldn't make sense to spend such amount of miles.

I'll continue to wait and see if EY opens availability for the whole route

20. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

That's very strange. Maybe @Tiffany has a suggestion?