ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Calling Australia seems to be the only way to make anything happen. I'd call and see what they see and say.

Tiffany likes this.
  2. Mateusz

Mateusz New Member

Do you know how long it takes to ticket an award? Also, my card was declined for some reason, I fixed it then called back to AA and provided CC's numbers once again. The agent didn't check it with the ticketing office, just told me I will be sent an email when the tickets have been issued. Is that alright?

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Mateusz if it's not close in, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes the ticketing queue can be interminable but they always get there. If you are traveling soon you can call in to request expediting the ticket.

Mateusz likes this.
  4. MattFL

MattFL New Member

Found guest first for SIN > AUH > JFK. Called AA US line and they said no availability. Also proceeded to say that inventory on EY's site isn't the same as what they release to AA.

Hung up and called AA in AU. No problem. Put it on five day hold. Super excited. Booked this in my wife's name and will pay for one in my name. One way from SIN to JFK is just over 5k in F. Great bargain IMO for 787 suite and A380 Apartment. If another seat opens up in Guest First will use points though.

Tiffany and MidSouth Skier like this.
  5. Mateusz

Mateusz New Member

Guys, question about chauffeur service. I'm flying in Etihad F and my father in business (happens). Can we ride together in the limo if I order it? We are on different reservations.

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be fine. If you are worried you can always make the reservation over the phone and ask them to make a note that there will be two people in the car.

Mateusz likes this.
  7. T.A.

T.A. New Member

I am sorry - it seems I posted my question in the wrong thread first. So - here goes -
    I booked Etihad First (JFK - AUH) using AA miles (booked before the devaluation, but the flight date is after devaluation). My flight is on their Jet-configured 777. However, there is an earlier flight the same day - on A380.

Supposedly I find guest saver availability for A380 the day before the departure - is it possible to switch to this earlier flight (it's all on the same day)?

If so - do I call AA to handle this change? I am afraid that the day before the departure they might not be able to help. Besides, even if they can help - wouldn't they charge me after-the-devaluation difference?

Or should I call Etihad directly? But then - since I did not book with them directly, would they be able to help?

8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Hi @T.A. AA has said that they will allow simple date and time changes without repricing the award so you should be fine. In order to make changes you would contact AA since they are the ticketing carrier and are the only ones who can make changes. At some point before your flight EY will take control of the ticket so AA will have to pull it back to make changes so make sure to play with for some extra time on the phone. EY will only make changes in case of irregular operations of some kind.

9. Flooritt

Flooritt New Member

Yes, you should Skype call another AA center like Australia - they can see the award space and confirm it.

10. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

@Gaurav I haven't checked on this thread in the while, are the same ol' problems still happening: US agents not seeing space, only seeing 1 of 2 award seats etc?

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

12. Babydoc

Babydoc Member

New to this blog and have already learned so much. Thanks to ALL of you! As a result have R/T SQ F double bed suites for JFK-SIN booked and wife and I are thrilled!

I know this may sound ignorant, but I don't know the answer. I want to fly EY apartment JFK-AUH about a year from now but at predevaluation AA award rates. As I've learned here, EY F 388 seats are only available within a week or so of booking. Can I book something before the 3/22 AA devaluation and then use the ticket up to a year from issue date as up close availability opens up for when I really want to fly? Do I need to cancel the current reservation and then just hold the award ticket or do I just no show for the original flight and then rebook later?

Thanks for helping me clarify. There was another thread that dealt with this but it seems to have gone quiet.

13. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Babydoc, that *should* work but since AA has only published very general guidelines it is hard to give a 100% certain answer.

14. Babydoc

Babydoc Member

@Gaurav, thank you for responding and for all your helpful posts. Just to clarify, would I cancel the reservation and simply hold the award until I'm ready to rebook, or do I just noshow and then rebook when I'm ready?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  15. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Don't noshow. You can cancel your tickets and hold the award. You'll be able to use your ticket numbers to reclaim the award later.

Babydoc likes this.
  16. Babydoc

Babydoc Member

@Gaurav, thanks again. I wasn't sure if canceling a ticket led to an automatic cancelation of an award or not - I'm still a beginner. :)

17. Abeer Agrawal

Abeer Agrawal New Member

I'm trying to book an award flight SFO->DEL.

If I check on the Etihad website, there's no one-way availability on those routes on my dates.

However, if I book a round-trip, ex-Delhi, and pick my date of travel as the return date, I get award availability.

Currently, if I call AA-reps, they tell they have no availability on my dates. Is there anything I can do?

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Abeer Agrawal That's interesting. What date are you looking at for your SFO-DEL trip? Also, have you tried calling the Australia AA call center?

19. Abeer Agrawal

Abeer Agrawal New Member

@Gaurav I'm looking at Dec. 16th. I tried calling the US center twice, and the Australia center once.

20. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Business? How many people?