ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards for Military

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Andrew USN, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Andrew USN

Andrew USN New Member

Hi there:

As an active duty military member, many card issuers waive annual fees for cards. Many of us have the Amex platinum but what do you all think would be a good choice for a companion card? Obviously highly dependent on travel patterns, agreed. For me, I tend to fly AA (platinum) or Delta (silver) and don’t often stay at a lot of hotels. I feel like I most often use Amex points for transfer to airline partners for business class award travel redemptions. That said, open to any and all ideas! Thoughts?

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @Andrew USN - Marriott is the only card with points that can be transferred to AA so you might be better off just using an AA card to earn miles there.

Also, there's a blog here on Boarding Area specifically for military folks called The Military Frequent Flyer that you may want to check out.

3. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

Navy Federal has a Flagship Rewards Card that gives you 3 points on all travel, 2 points on everything else, a 50,000 point sign up bonus, travel protection, CDW waiver, Global Entry with the first year fee waived and $49/year after. Of course, you have to have an account at NFCU to open this card. I’ve had the card for a while now and I highly recommend it because it allows one to be a free agent. I fly mostly AA (EXP) but also DL this year.

Gaurav and MidSouth Skier like this.
  4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Gia What is a point worth?

5. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

Gaurav likes this.