ASK LUCKY (and each other)


Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating DL + AF vs BA + AA

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Tij, Feb 25, 2020.

  1. Tij

    Tij New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hi all,

    I have the option of flying either DL business from LHR to BOS on their newer 767-400 and then Air France A350 vs BA on their individual suite and then AA in their 777. I have AA gold status and will Hit platinum with an upcoming Qatar J flight, and was actually hoping to status challenge to delta. They are both about $1700 with DL/AF being about $50 cheaper. Which flights would you rather go one from a pure business class perspective and then a loyalty perspective. I’m based in Boston FYI! Thanks for your responses :)
     
    #1
  2. Mikewarren1000

    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    17
    Where is the AF flight to/from ? Sorry maybe i am missing something but both secondary flights (the AF & AA) I dont get the routing. You only mentioned LHR to BOS and you live in Boston so that sounds like just a one way..

    At any rate, there is nothing special about the DL 767-400 although certainly its better with the update. I'd go BA over that for sure, as long as its the new set up where you arent crammed into having to jump over someone or have them jump over you. I'd also take AA J over AF J for a better hard product.
     
    #2
    OCTinPHL likes this.
  3. Tij

    Tij New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    2
    Apologies, the AF is from BOS to CDG on there newer A350 with there new business class and AA is BOS to LHR. My understanding is that the retrofitted 767-400 is essentially a slightly smaller suite without a door. Do you think the BA new suite is better? From a soft product perspective too, it appears DL/AF Is a slightly superior to BA/AA?
     
    #3
  4. OCTinPHL

    OCTinPHL Active Member

    Messages:
    567
    Likes Received:
    243
    I too am having a slight problem following the itinerary and comparisons... I think your options are either:

    1] AA BOS to LHR on the 772, return BA from LHR to BOS (you say new BA product - are you sure? How many 777s has BA retrofitted?); or

    2] AF BOS to CDG on a A350, with the return DL on a 764 from LHR to BOS?

    As AA Gold, soon to be Plat, I think AA/BA would be worth it if it helps get you closer to EXP. It doesn't really matter for these trips in particular, for you are already in J and there are no upgrades to be had, at least on the AA leg. Probably no need to worry about bag fees either.

    You are probably correct - all things being equal, DL/AF soft product probably gets a slight nod over AA/BA.
     
    #4
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. rickyw

    rickyw Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,796
    Likes Received:
    866
    Do you know what time the flights leave? Boston transatlantic is such a short flight - maybe 5.5-6 hours in the air max?

    For me, if cost isn't an issue, I would take whatever the latest departure is, since the flight is so short to begin with.

    For instance, I'm heading to the UK in a few weeks. Headache of connecting aside, I chose the old BA 787 direct out of BWI rather than all of the much better hard products out of NYC/PHL. The BWI flight leaves at 9:45pm, so I can have dinner at home, head to the airport, take-off and sleep for 5ish hours, land in London.
     
    #5
    Gaurav likes this.
  6. Mikewarren1000

    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    17
    I cant speak to AF as I have never flown them but not sure about DL soft product being better. Although a much better chance of a nicer FA than on AA but I'd go BA if its the new config. Because then you have that single seat by yourself as well as the AA J but then again if its a 772 you have a 41% chance of the horrible rocking Zodiac seats vs. a 59% chance of the best seat they offer, imo (the Super Diamond) And with AA you have no idea of knowing which 772 it is until 2-3 days out. I think the timing of flights and where you want the credit for the flights to go along are what it will come down to for you, as there are plus or minuses either way.
     
    #6