ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Does Etihad allow stopover redeeming from AA?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Makalo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Makalo

Makalo New Member

Hi Lucky,

I want to fly from London to Beijing via Middle East, so I can redeem Etihad First Class Apartment. Is it possible to redeem Etihad by using AA miles and have a layover in Abu Dhabi, which will cost the same miles as directly from Europe to Asia 2? Does American still allows layover like that? Thanks a lot.

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

AA awards doesnt allow Europe to Asia 2 via the Middle East, regardless of which airline you fly unless its on QR via Doha where both segments are on QR

3. SFOflyer

SFOflyer New Member

@Lucky / David:

How about from USA to Europe via Middle east? such like LAX-AUH-Europe? usually which airport in Europe is the best destination to maximize flying F (so that the airplane type is the best one too)?

4. David W

Same restriction applies. You cant fly to Europe via the middle east on an AA award.

If you're goal is to fly Etihad F, what you could do is make Cairo your destination on the award and then purchase a cheap ticket from Cairo to your final destination. Lucky has had several posts on great J fares out of Cairo.

5. SFOflyer

SFOflyer New Member

@David W ,

Thanks, hmmm I don't think I am interested to go Cairo. Any other interesting destinations if flying from SFO and connect in AUH? how about to Male(Maldives) or Sydney(Australia)? will it priced as one award redemption? SFO-AUH-MLE in F for 67.5k AA miles and SFO-AUH-SYD in F for 90k AA miles?

6. David W

You don't necessarily have to stay in Cairo, just use that as the destination on the award then book a connecting paid flight out of Cairo because flights are cheaper out of Cairo.

SFO-AUH-MLE will price as one 90K award for F, not 67.5k since EY offers 3 classes of service.

SFO-AUH-SYD would price as 2 awards since you cannot fly to SYD via the Middle East. SFO-AUH in F would be 90k and AUH-SYD would be 60k in F.

Ben has a great post on AA award rules here: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/06/08/american-aadvantage-award-routing-rules/

Tiffany likes this.
  7. SFOflyer

SFOflyer New Member

Thanks a lot David! It's so overwhelming to me to figure out all the stopover and connection rules when redeeming on partner airlines! I really appreciate your help and would like to connect with you if you don't mind. Where are you based at?

8. David W

Glad I could help! I've been looking at the same stuff since I'm trying to plan my own trip on EY First Apartment.

I'm based out of NYC so feel free to message me if you're in the area!

9. SFOflyer

SFOflyer New Member

Awesome, also shoot me a message when you are happen to be in SFO area :)
    NYC is nice, a lot of good award flights to Europe. Did you ever manage to get the Air Lingus business class from Boston to Dublin with Avios before they devalued it? I was trying to get that and checked award space everyday but no avail .....
    How was your trip in EY First Apartment? Have you flown Emirates yet?
    I always get mixed up between Emirates and Etihad. I think it's Emirates that has a good award redemption to Australia or Europe in one pricing , not Etihad.

10. David W

I don't actually have any Avios at the moment so I didn't check out the award availability. I haven't flown either Etihad or Emirates in First...yet. I plan to at some point in the future though! I will be flying Emirates economy to Milan and Dubai in October though...hoping to score a paid upgrade since flyertalk has some reports of them being offered.

In terms of award pricing, its more about which program you use. You can redeem Alaska Airlines' MileagePlan awards for Emirates to Europe or Asia for 100k miles each way. You can also redeem their miles for awards on Cathay or Qantas to Australia.

SFOflyer likes this.
  11. SFOflyer

SFOflyer New Member

....and I just read the link to Lucky's post on AA routing rule that you gave......I found that there actually an exception, we can go to Middle East from USA and route through Europe, that means I can do SFO - LHR (layover) - AUH (layover) - MLE (destination) in EY F class for 90k AA miles! that's awesome!

Tiffany likes this.
  12. David W

That is awesome!