ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries Dropping last leg of itinerary

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AJP, Dec 10, 2019.

1. AJP

AJP New Member

My family is flying ORY-JFK-RDU; one of my sons would like to stay in New York on the way home. It's prohibitively expensive to change the ticket at this point; much cheaper just for him not to board the JFK-RDU segment and purchase a new NYC-RDU for when he comes home later on. Is there a problem with him just not boarding that last leg? I assume we'd have to make sure the bags are tagged appropriately; any other concerns I should be thinking about?

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

He needs not to check a bag at all and have everything he needs with him in a carry-on. Or have his checked bag go on to RDU and you ship it to him later. I wouldn't ask that his bag be tagged only to JFK as that's just signaling his intent not to complete the ticket.

AJP likes this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Aside from MidSouth advice, this should be relatively easy. You'll need to clear customs and security in JFK anyways, so pretty simple to just not go back through.

AJP likes this.
  4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

D'oh! I forgot that he'd have to pick up his bag going through Customs anyway. So just don't re-check it and he's fine.

AJP likes this.