ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Elite Status Earning Status in the Middle of Connecting Flight

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by KPEsq, Sep 19, 2019.

1. KPEsq

KPEsq New Member

Hi everyone! I have an upcoming connecting flight on AA, and the first leg of the journey will be enough to cross the threshold into Gold status. The next flight is less than 500 miles, so I was wondering if my status will update automatically and make me (at least theoretically) eligible for a complimentary upgrade. I've seen my EQMs update before I've even reached the gate on prior occasions, hence my optimism. :) Thanks!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Hard to say! I've had flights post before I get home from the airport, and I've had flights post a week later. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it.

If it's any consolation, an upgrade to first on a sub 500 mile flight isn't anything to get super excited about. Free snacks and a drink, and a slightly bigger seat!

Rob in Miami, OCTinPHL and Gaurav like this.
  3. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

And I'm not trying to rain on OP's parade, but if the second flight is to/from an AA hub - CLT, DFW, PHL, even LAX - the chances of a Gold getting an upgrade diminish significantly.