ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption EK Fees rort

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by alen B, Mar 30, 2020.

1. alen B

alen B Reader

Hi,
    I had flights booked for mid April from MEL-NRT on JAL, flight was booked using skywards miles.
    last week the flight got suspended as well as the Austrialian Government preventing its citizens from leaving the country.
    rang emirates today to cancel the tickets and they want to charge me $75USD per ticket to cancel when almost all other airlines are waving the fees altogether.
    I don''t think its right and i want to know if you know of anyone else experiencing the same frustration with them
    thanks
    Alen

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Is the flight still operating?

3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Alen, I'm in a similar boat (not with Emirates specifically) and it's quite frustrating. As Guarav said, if the flight is actually cancelled, you shouldn't be charged anything. But, if not, you may have to pay the $75 fee. Personally, I think that's a pretty reasonable fee to pay in the grand scheme of things. For me, I'm out almost $350 of non-refundable travel related expenses during this whole situation between a couple international trips. In the grand scheme of things, it's a price I'm willing to pay because staying home is the responsible thing to do.

Granted, I'm fortunate that I'm still employed full-time and have the privilege of being able to eat $350 right now... but just thought I'd share that I feel your frustration, and another point of view.