ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Etihad Baggage on AA Redemption

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by McLaw101, Jul 17, 2019.

1. McLaw101

McLaw101 New Member

Hello,

Last week I redeemed mileage with American Airlines for business class one way ZRH-AUH-HKG on Etihad. When reviewing the booking on Etihad.com, the ticket is issued, we have seats, but it shows no check-in baggage allowed. Their system also does not allow us to pay for checked baggage. Upon calling Etihad they informed us that they see our ticket but their system shows we have no check-in baggage allowed. They state that it's an AA issued ticket and AA will need to resolve this. Having now spoken to three agents at AA and they all say we're allowed two bags each up to 23kg each. We're still at a point where in the Etihad system they show no luggage on our ticket, therefore I fear they will want to charge us for baggage at the check-in counter. The AA agent is not there to change things at the Etihad check-in counter. Has anyone run in to this and any suggestions on a resolution so we don't have a surprise at check-in?

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Maybe @Tiffany knows of a liason between the airlines?

McLaw101 likes this.
  3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

AA has a liaison desk they can call, but if you're on a business class ticket, I can't imagine that there is going to be an issue with checking bags.

McLaw101 and OCTinPHL like this.
  4. McLaw101

McLaw101 New Member

A quick update, I spent over two hours on the phone with AA last night with several members of their customer group ultimately ending up with a Manager on Duty out of DFW. She did quite a bit of research, ultimately finding that for an AA redemption on Etihad, if neither the origin or destination is in US or Canada, the check-in baggage allowance with Etihad is zero. She was surprised by this and allowed us to rebook a new itinerary for our trip, but I wonder now if this information was correct and if anyone else has run into this?

5. lmross

lmross New Member

I just booked my friend in Business from SYD to LHR in September. Checked baggage says zero with no way to pay. She is allowed 3 carryons (2 luggage and one personal) it looks like.

My husband and I are flying LHR - SYD in Feb 2020 in First and we each have a checked bag up to 50kg.

6. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

I really suspect this is just a system glitch, and that airport staff would know your baggage allowance on a premium cabin ticket. I know that's not really reassuring, and it's annoying that there doesn't seem to be a way to address it ahead of time :/

7. lmross

lmross New Member

My suspicions as well! Luckily my friend is going to be good this time and fly with a carry on so it's not a huge deal. I was just shocked that the baggage allowance for a premium product would be so low.