ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption How to see Lufthansa/Austrian award availability from Miles&More?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by SeattleTodd, Sep 7, 2017.

1. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Hi everyone,

With Austrian's announcement of Premium Economy, all of their business class award space to LAX seems to be zeroed out all of sudden, when just a day ago there was tons of availability.

I got to wondering if they're doing the same thing as Lufthansa now and making premium awards only available to their own members. So I thought I'd search through Miles & More. But I don't have enough miles in my account (only 500) so the tool won't even let me search.

In this era of transferring points, how would one search Miles & More for Lufthansa (who definitely only release premium awards to partners very late) and Austrian award availability before transferring in the miles, if the Miles & More tool won't let you? Can you use ExpertFlyer or KVS for this? Any other way?

It may be for nothing -- it's possible Austrian has zeroed out all of their premium award space altogether. But I thought I'd give it a try -- the date I need is just a week away from being bookable; the timing couldn't be worse for me for them to announce premium economy and pull the business class award space.

Thanks so much,
    Todd

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Yes, Expert Flyer will show space for LH & OS.

3. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Thanks -- is it the space that Miles&More members would see or the space that partner airlines would see?

4. MidSouth Skier

I suspect it's what a member could see because it shows availability by fare buckets. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

From ExperFlyer's help screen:

Lufthansa:
      • The Lufthansa Award search shows partner award inventory. Availability to Miles & More members may be greater.
      • Some Lufthansa flights may show First class inventory not yet available to partners. Generally Lufthansa doesn't release First Award inventory to partners until 14 days before departure. Any First Award inventory shown beyond 14 days may only be available to Miles & More program members.
    SWISS:
      • SWISS Award & Upgrade availability reflects availability for Miles & More members. Availability to members of other Star Alliance partner airlines may be less.

So the big question is... which case is it for Austrian? :)

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  6. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Just got a frustrating reply from ExpertFlyer. They said that actually both Lufthansa and SWISS show partner inventory. So their own help page is wrong, and they still haven't fixed it.

Sooooo... can anyone with miles in their Miles&More account check Austrian business class availability between VIE and LAX for next August?

Thanks,
    Todd

7. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Hi there,

I'm wondering if Austrian now restricts business class awards to Miles&More members like Lufthansa does, but I don't have enough miles in my Miles&More account to check, and ExperFlyer only shows partner availability.

If you have enough miles in your Miles&More account, could you please check Austrian business class award availability VIE-LAX at different times of the year? If you could also get a sense of *how many* award seats are available per flight I'd be extremely grateful. (I would need 2.)

Aeroplan doesn't show any availability beyond early November 2017 and not much beyond October 2017; this was a sudden change with the announcement of premium economy and the removal of a number of business class seats.

I'd be happy to transfer SPG points to Miles&More to redeem for Austrian awards, but not without knowing if there's availability.

Thanks so much,
    Todd

8. MidSouth Skier

Looks like you now have to have 7000 miles in your M&M account to do this, so I'm out. Hopefully someone else can help!

9. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

@Tiffany Is this something you would be willing to check, just to understand if the rules have changed? If there's availability through Miles&More, I'd happily transfer SPG points, but wouldn't want to do that without knowing. Thanks!

10. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Arggh.... turns out you can't even use the KVS tool -- you still have to have 7000 miles in your M&M account.

@Tiffany @Lucky Could you please help or investigate whether Austrian now limits premium awards to Miles&More members, or if they've just really eliminated (almost) business award availability altogether?

Thanks so much,
    Todd

11. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@SeattleTodd -- There isn't anything through Miles&More either. It seems to be a general reaction to the addition of premium economy, and the corresponding inventory adjustments.

It may balance back out eventually, but for the time being you aren't missing anything.

12. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

@Tiffany, thank you SO MUCH for investigating this. Even though it's bad news (I can't believe this came a week before I would be able to make my award bookings), it's really helpful to know the situation. Thanks again!

Tiffany likes this.