ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Hotels IHG status error?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Rohit Deshpande, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Rohit Deshpande

Hey guys, I’m completely new to IHG hotels and program as I’m a frequent Bonvoy-er. But I wanted to use IHG points for Crowne Plaza hotel Changi so I created an account.....like yesterday. And today I transferred 40,000 chase points to IHG for the booking. I didn’t even pay attention to status because I know I don’t have any. But I spend the 40k miles on a room and all of a sudden I notice I have platinum elite status?!?! Bear in mind I created the account yesterday and I don’t even have any ihg co branded credit card. I’ve also never stayed at an ihg hotel in my life. Can someone clarify if chase points can clearly be transferred for ihg status or if this is some kind of error but I’ll gladly take it in either case. Thanks in advance!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Probably an error but IHG Platinum status isn't actually worth a whole lot so I wouldn't get too excited.

Gaurav likes this.
  3. Rohit Deshpande

Certainly, I looked at the perks and pretty shoddy to be honest. I get twice the value out of Marriott gold status than what I see from IHG’s platinum status which is pretty sad, but I mean I can’t complain about it. Perhaps something to experiment with for others. But I certainly won’t complain about getting status merely through transferring points to my account having only created this account day before.

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

You could also get IHG Platinum via their credit card, which has an annual free night on top of a couple of other perks.

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Rohit Deshpande curious why you decided to transfer UR to IHG? It's usually considered a pretty poor value. Were cash prices pretty high at the hotel?

6. Rohit Deshpande

You are absolutely right. Terrible value and would've never considered. But for one of the nights I wanted to stay in the Crowne Plaza Hotel Changi, the cost was some $280 for the night and I had 0 time flexibility and that same room was 40,000 IHG points. Usually Marriott is my go to since I have gold with them through how much I stay with them (no marriott CC), but the closest Marriott was too far away from Changi for the time constraint that I had so Crowne Plaza was the best bet. Anyways, by lucky's valuations, 40K points is $200ish so I decided to bite. Upon transferring those 40k points, I got IHG plat status which I was surprised to see. Albeit useless enough, a nice extra to have for virtually no effort.

The other thing was I had UR points in mind for a KE redemption this summer for a long time, but that all got ruined with KE being cut as a transfer partner., and I had to resort to using Bonvoy points :( . And I generally accumulate a large number of UR points/ month so I thought using 40K for this wouldn't hurt that much especially for using points at a brand I have 0 loyalty with nor do I plan to have loyalty with, but hey, no IHG stays ever and platinum status given from a simple chase transfer, I can't complain!

7. Rohit Deshpande

See the thing is I won't ever be staying with IHG again (unless I'm back in Singapore with limited time next time) but otherwise its all Marriott Bonvoy properties for me. So the card would be pretty useless. I might consider a Marriott/Hilton card though at some point