ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Law change - surcharge for CC

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Adam12345, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Adam12345

Adam12345 Reader

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Even before this some places charged a fee for using cards. My impression was that it was illegal to charge the fee for using a specific card type (i.e. fees for Amex cards, but not MC/VS)

On the upside, the "fee" is charged by the merchant, not the processor, so it'll still show up on the card statement as a single charge and earns full rewards points and eligible bonus points.

The bigger issue is that hard cash income will be greater and merchants may not report all their cash income. I wouldnt be surprised at ALL if merchants reported a decline in overall sales, rather than a decrease in credit card sales and increase of cash sales.

Gia likes this.
  3. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

I have not yet read the article above, but I am almost 100% certain that David is correct. If the article deals with what I think it does, Amex challenged the fact that some merchants were charging customers more for using Amex cards. That is what was held illegal. David is correct - merchants have always been able to charge more for customers paying with cards. Anyone who drove in the 70's or 80's will remember gas stations listing two prices - "Cash" and "Credit".

4. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

This is a very common practice in the construction and remodeling trades. They usually want 5% more for a card transaction. I live in a big city with a lot of competition so it isn’t hard to find contractors who don’t charge a card fee. This isn’t a good strategy - it will hurt merchants more than card consumers.