ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating Longhaul aircraft flying domestic.

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Hamada, May 13, 2017.

1. Hamada

Hamada New Member

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if you know any longhaul aircrafts flying on domestic routes. We will be flying between Miami, Chicago and San francisco in Business/First Class. And would like to see if there are any airlines flying the international configured aircrafts between those cities. So we will fly full flat seats domestically. Route will be SFO-CHI-MIA/FLL or vice versa.
    We've found AA flying ORD-MIA in their 757 but as per Seatguru, it will be with their old first class seats.

Thanks.

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I think in general the only flights with lie-flat seats are going to be the the LAX/SFO-NYC area routes. There may be a few others to Boston or Washington DC. I think AA has one LAX-MIA flight with lie-flat as well. But I'm not aware of any Chicago domestic flights (excluding Hawaii) that have lie-flat seats.

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I think AA has a few flights where LAX-MIA, LAX-DFW and DFW-MIA uses their 77W. And United flies SFO-ORD with various internationally configured aircraft. but that might be the extent of it.

Hamada likes this.
  4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

The ORD to MIA flight is occasionally operated by a 767, not a 757. Unfortunately, I can't figure out the schedule and if it's a regular slot. You all may remember last year the plane that caught fire on the runway was an AA 767 from ORD to MIA.

Typically if you are flying from hub to hub on an airline, there is a decent chance that an internationally configured plane will be flying the route at least once a day for positioning. But there is not much rhyme or reason to the schedule and you'll just have to play with it on your dates.

The exception to that is SFO/LAX to NYC which is regularly lie-flat on all three major US airlines. And as Midsouth and David point out, LAX to MIA on American, there is one daily flight where they actually sell it as a 3 class flight.

Hamada likes this.
  5. Hamada

Hamada New Member

Dear @David W , @rickyw and @MidSouth Skier ,

Appreciate your replies.
    I've managed to book AA, MIA-ORD on their 767-300 which has staggered 1-2-1 Business/First seats. And it has the same price as their 737's :). Let's hope they don't do a (lastminute) change.

Again I would like to thank everyone because this website was very helpful in helping me plan and book my flights, especially because I live in the Netherlands and have only been to the US 1 time. So needed your expertise to be able to book airlines with the best products.

Miko likes this.
  6. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

AA out of ORD flies DFW, MIA, and LAX on various wide bodies including 767s, 777s, and 787s, some of which that operate multiple times a day

Miko and Hamada like this.
  7. Hamada

Hamada New Member

Hi Jacob,
    I'm booked on their 767-300 out of MIA, but as per some reports I've seen online, those aircrafts don't have IFE screens. I've read somewhere that based on the flight/route entertainment tablets can be handed out. But it didn't mention on which routes.

8. Jacob McCarthy

Tablets are handed out only in the premium Business Class Cabin on International Longhaul Routes. On Domestic / Shorthaul routes no tablets are handed out.

Hamada likes this.
  9. Miko

Miko New Member

I did just this last year commuting from DFW-ORD - they had 787 and 767's running this but I caught a 767 occasion. My surprise, but in retrospect it made sense, was my gogo account didn't work. Those birds are not gogo equipped so that painfully slow, just about worthless wifi I spend $60 a month on didn't even have service on that route. The 767 was a good run to check it off the list. The 787, i'll do that everyday even without wifi - was a nice ride. I believe the flights were routed on these planes purely for reposition and crew training requirements - the load factor didn't seem enough to take one of those long-turn aircraft onto the route for pure economics.

Hamada likes this.
  10. Jacob McCarthy

Only the narrow body domestic airplanes have Gogo. 787s, retrofitted 772s, 773s, and ONE 763 have wifi provided by Panasonic which is $19 per flight regardless of length.

(FYI the one 767 with wifi is N348AN, picture below)

Attached Files:

Hamada likes this.