ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Marriott Bonvoy Award Holds - HELP!

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Sam Z, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Sam Z

Sam Z Member

I put a marriott bonvoy award reservation on hold using points yesterday using the points advance. The reservation was at the Gritti Palace Venice at a rate of 60,000 points + 5 EUR per night. I was under the impression that if you award 'hold' that means you 'hold' that price. However, I log in now to the reservation and see that the new price is 85,000 points + 5 EUR (as this is now a category 8 hotel?). Also, the Gritti Palace was not one of the properties that was on the list of category changes on the pdf Lucky posted a few days ago. Please advise?

Attached Files:

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Yes, this is a known issue. When you are ready to redeem the points, you'll call Marriott, and they'll be able to pull up the old rate, though "it is a more involved and time-consuming process requiring the help of a CEC agent." (per https://viewfromthewing.boardingare...arriott-redemption-rates-before-prices-go-up/)

The Gritti Palace didn't really change categories, but that is confusing. It was always slated to be a Category 8, but the difference is that Marriott hadn't implemented Category 8 prices before yesterday, so a bunch of Cat 8 hotels were grouped with the Cat 7s.

Editing to add: This works in theory, but in practice is a goat rodeo depending on when you made your booking. Post coming soon!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Gia likes this.
  3. Sam Z

Sam Z Member

Tiffany, thanks!
    Do you know why the Griti palace has increased in price? Was not on the original list but is now 85K points per night.

What a complete mess though. Will be switching to either Hilton or Hyatt soon...

4. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

5. Sam Z

Sam Z Member

Thanks!

One last question: if you make a points advance reservation do you have to pay the cash portion up front? As in, I'm looking at a room (for a new reservation) which is pricing at 85K points + 450 EUR per night, do I have to pay the cash portion now? Is the 450 EUR refundable within 72 hrs as well?