ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

No Electronics When Landing in DC?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Brian9876, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Brian9876

Brian9876 Reader

@Lucky and others - this was a new one for me. Landed late last night in BWI on a domestic AA flight from PHX (flt 1597). Once decent started, the captain came on the PA and announced that "due to tonight's routing", all electronics needed to be turned off. Not airplane mode - turned all the way off. Laptops, iPads, Phones, etc. Everything. Cabin crew then came through to make sure people were complying. Flight attendant was asked by multiple passengers what was going on and she said it was all new to her too. Don't know if this had to do with the int'l electronics ban or something else entirely, but was definitely a little peculiar.

Lucky likes this.
  2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

Good question. :) This is because they were doing an auto-land, which uses more sensitive instruments. Has nothing to do with DC as such, but rather every so often they do an auto-land, either because it has to be tested every so often, because the conditions warrant it, etc.

rickyw and No Name like this.
  3. Miko

Miko New Member

Disagree - while I believe that the flight crew is overreaching, the purpose for how electronics are used in high-risk phases of flight is/was distraction and projectile related. Think of the FAA as a giant over-protective-statitician (and we owe our extreme airline safety to this). To evacuate a plane you need to be paying attention, be decisive and fast. Planes evacuate during non-life-threatening scenarios more than the actual "hit the fan" ones and frankly without quick evacuation, a minor incident can become a problem. Seconds matter (talking to you BA 2276 Las Vegas evacuation - even real life smoke and fire didn't move those people off fast enough to qualify for FAA type clearance).

Interference? The RF cloud in first class is enough to show up on Navy radar more than the plane's avionics - it won't cause the plane to land off the ILS track.

I personally think noise-cancelling headphones should be off below 10,000 feet for safety, but since the policy change I wear them gate to gate - and miss every word spoken in flight, important or not. It's all about how fast can you listen and act.