ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Points math help needed

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Patrojan, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Patrojan

Patrojan New Member

Hi!

If I charge my rent each month on my Cap One Venture card, I will get approximately 5,000 points each month. But my rental company will charge me a $60/month convenience fee. I can't wrap my head around the math to determine if it makes sense to spend $60 to earn 5,000 miles. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

If you look at the top of this page and click on Start Here, there's a menu choice called Value of Miles & Points. On that page Ben values Capital One points at 1.1 cents each (aka .011). 5000 points x .011 = $55. So you'd end up losing $5 each month on that deal.

Now keep in mind there may be occasions where it's worth it. If you need to top off your account balance so you can get a fabulous award flight/hotel then you might consider it. But it doesn't appear to be worth it to me.

(If my math is wrong, someone please correct me!)

Tiffany and Patrojan like this.