ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Qatar award availability on AA

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Tracy, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Tracy

Tracy Reader

what happened to Qatar airlines award availability on American Airlines website? Earlier this summer there were plenty of awards from PHL to South Africa and Sri Lanka. Now I only see BA which has huge fuel surcharges.

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Have you tried looking out of Qatar's other US destinations, or just Philly? Also, have you searched segment by segment?

3. mjonis

mjonis New Member

Doesn't Qatar have a summer blackout schedule for awards? I thought I read that somewhere on flyertalk that like June-July or something is when all the award inventory goes poof!

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Not that I've heard, though I'm not usually on FT.

I cant imagine an award blackout being "official" to the public. It might be more that a busier summer means fuller flights and less empty seats that can be released as awards.

5. laxton23

laxton23 New Member

I was watching for availability for June 2020 to get to JNB right as it opened up. My schedule wasn't finalized and then all of the availability across the whole month was pulled in 1 day. I am continuing to watch it, but not a lot of confidence in it coming back

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Consider getting an award wallet subscription and setting alerts. That way you won't have to keep monitoring constantly.

7. mjonis

mjonis New Member

It may not be "public" blackout (like KE which publishes it). Sounds like it is a yearly occurrence though:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...a-miles-award-master-thd-62.html#post31390409