ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries QR 8156 and a CX MIA HKG

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Rob in Miami, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Rob in Miami

Rob in Miami Active Member

#1: I was just sitting on my balcony any saw a Qatar 777 on my FlightRadar24 App- landing at MIA from LUX. I am assuming this is a cargo like the Asian 747s we have from Korean and AirChina?
    I checked QR 8156 on internet and Flight Aware shows it taking off in LUX and arriving in MIA on Wednesdays. Just wish it was a passenger flight. Would be a great flight, if for passengers.

#2: My friend said he was with Cathay Pacific people in Hong Kong and they were happy to talk about a new 2018 CX flight from MIA to HKG. I am guessing (if true) a MIA - Vancouver- to HKG?

Anyone know more?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Yep! That's a cargo flight. Looks like it runs Quito to Miami to Luxembourg.

From Wikipedia:
    upload_2018-1-17_21-38-1.png

Well MIA to HKG clocks in at 8,990 miles, which would make it the third longest flight in the world, just shy of Qantas new Perth to Europe flight.

I think given American's strength in Caribbean, Central and south america out of Miami, there could be a lot feeder traffic to make the flight viable. But, seemingly every Cathay flight is ultra long-haul, and I wonder how many Boeing 787s and/or Airbus 350s they have on order, and if they could make the flight work.

All guesses at this point. Would be cool to see!

Rob in Miami likes this.
  3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about MIA-HKG via YVR. On one hand, there aren't any direct MIA-YVR flights so it could be a decent one stop option for Caribbean/South America- Vancouver. On the other hand, Caribbean/SA to HKG via MIA and YVR would be 2 stops - really not much different than what is already available. There's no definite advantage to MIA-YVR-HKG either - AA has plenty of flights from MIA to other cities that have service to HKG.

I think a direct MIA-HKG flight would be better - Cathay's A359s should be able to handle the non-stop.

HKFlyer and Rob in Miami like this.
  4. Rob in Miami

Rob in Miami Active Member

Wow. Did not know they could actually make it non-stop. That is much better for us. The Cathay FAs were talking about how excited they were with the idea of a new layover in Miami. So, fingers are crossed.