ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 100

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by ILDC, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ILDC

ILDC Reader

Hi Lucky,

I'm very tempted to signup for the US Airways/Barclays 50K miles Credit Card based on your suggestions (I'm not a churner), but I'd like to know if cancelling the card before payment of the annual fee will affect my credit score? My research seems to suggest that it will affect credit score, albeit temporarily.

Two questions:

1) Does canceling a credit card affect credit score? Is it temporary?
    2) Is it possible to request a smaller CL upon signup so that credit utilization isn't as impacted?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ ILDC -- The algorithm for credit scores is quite complicated, but average age of accounts and the request for credit would slightly impact your score. Having a higher credit limit shouldn't make a difference if you're not spending anything on it, since it will keep your utilization low.