ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 171

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by David, Jan 9, 2015.

1. David

David Reader

Hi Lucky,

I am trying to find a way to book an award flight SFO to either NRT/HND or ICN in Cathay Pacific First class by using AA miles.
    I know that I can get there by using Singapore Airlines and JAL, but I just want to be able to experience Cathay First as I never try it before.
    Cathay routing rules that requires all destination or origin has to be in HKG is really limiting me, as we cannot route from Asia 1 to Asia 2 zone and vice versa according to AA rules (correct me if I'm wrong).
    So how to get to HND/NRT or ICN from HKG? Would it require two separate award tickets (ex: SFO-HKG then 2nd ticket is HKG-NRT)?

How about using Alaska Airline miles on Cathay Pacific from SFO to NRT/HND or ICN? would it be one or two award tickets?

Do you have a better way to do this (getting to Japan or Korea from SFO by Cathay Pacific award seat). Appreciate and thank you in advance!

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ David -- Correct, American doesn't let you route from the US to Korean/Japan via Hong Kong, but Alaska does. They'd be your best bet.