ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 24

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Michael, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Michael

Michael Reader

Lucky,

I've been following your blog for a year or so and have been trying to figure all this points, miles, credit card stuff out and I think I get it now but have a couple,of questions for you.

So my wife and I were married in 2001 and chose to cancel our honeymoon due to 9/11 (not because we thought something would happen to us but we were afraid that if something happened we'd be stuck overseas). In the end we never rescheduled the honeymoon, kids, jobs and a trans continental move got in the way. Well, I'd like to start planning that honeymoon again. We would like to do a trip some time in 2016-2017 to Hong Kong, Bangkok and Koh Samui. I would like travel SQ Suites on at least one of the trans-Pacific legs. And stay at the Conrad Koh Samui for 3 nights.

We currently both have Chase Freedom and Sapphire card and between us have 125k UR points, we have 125,000 HHonors points combined and I have 45k Alaska miles and she has 16k Alaska miles. We both have some UA miles too but under 15k each.

We are taking a paid economy class trip on AC from YVR-VCE, FCO-YVR this summer (we live in Seattle but departing YVR was under $1000 r/t and departing SEA was nearly $1800 r/t we'll worth the 3 hour drive and parking fee for three tickets).

So here are the questions:

1. What mileage plan should I credit the AC flights too?
    2. What Credit Card strategy should I use to build points/miles to do the new honeymoon trip plan for both air and hotel?

The caveat being that a $5000 in 3 months is about the max we can spend on securing sign up bonuses.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Michael -- Congrats on the upcoming second honeymoon! As far as crediting the flights goes, I'd consider United MileagePlus, Avianca LifeMiles, or Singapore KrisFlyer. Really tough to recommend just one between those, depending on what you want to book.

As far as cards go, I'd maybe consider getting a couple of Citi AAdvantage Cards, which you could use to book Cathay Pacific first class one-way to Asia. Then I might consider a Citi Hilton Reserve Card for some more free nights, especially if you're looking at Koh Samui. I'd also consider an Ink Plus so you can keep building Ultimate Rewards points which you can transfer to KrisFlyer. Good luck!