ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 25

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by bozo, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bozo

bozo Reader

I have a US Airways first class award US-Tokyo with a stopover in Europe (Madrid).

US - Madrid and Tokyo - US are good flights, I am happy with them and intend to keep them. From Madrid to Tokyo I was on MAD-FRA(LAN)-NRT(JAL). When originally booked, I was in JL F on a 777. Then JAL swapped the plane to a 787 with no F. I am thinking of rebooking on oneworld partners that have the first class.

I cannot find availability from Europe to Tokyo directly on my dates on JL, in fact Europe to Japan I only see one BA F LHR-NRT seat, but I don't want to transit via London or fly BA.

I found two other options on the dates that work for me: 1) MAD-MXP-HKG-CGK-NRT. F is on MXP-HKG (CX) and CGK-NRT (JL). A variant of this is MAD-MXP-HKG-TYO. The last leg would be in C.
    2) MAD-ORY/CDG-KUL-CGK-NRT. I like this less than 1) because of the ORY/CDG transfer, although I would like to try MH F on the a380.

Question: Would US allow me rebooking via MAD-TYO via MXP-HKG-CGK given how circuitous it is? Is it any less suspicious if its via KUL-CGK? My total ticket would be 8 segments (currently at 6): two to stopover, four from stopover to destination, two to return. Can someone please let me know MPM for MAD-TYO? Any other advice is welcome. Thank you.

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ bozo -- It totally depends on the agent you get. In general I doubt you'll get away with replacing MAD-FRA-NRT with MAD-MXP-HKG-CGK-NRT, though it all depends on the agent you get. It can't hurt to try, but I think it's a stretch. The MPM between Madrid and Tokyo is irrelevant, since MPM would be based on travel between your origin and destination, which is the US and Tokyo in this case.