ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 42

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Emma, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Emma

Emma Reader

Currently have two BC award tickets booked DFW-CPT/JNB-DFW 400,000 miles plus $3300 fuel surcharge on BA. I see there is a BC flight from AMS-CPT/JNB-AMS for $4400 on BA for 2. Question would I received AA miles for this flight? If yes we were thinking we would use an award ticket to AMS in order to receive miles for a portion of the trip. Does this make any sense?

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Emma -- If it's a paid ticket you absolutely can accrue American miles for it. So to crunch the numbers, you'd save 75K miles per person by booking a paid ticket on that flight, and would save maybe $1,000 in fuel surcharges. So is it worth spending $4,400 to save $1,000 and 150,000 miles? I'd say not quite, but that's very close to the breakeven point, especially when you factor in the miles you'd earn on a paid ticket. So I could go either way on that.

Enjoy the trip!