ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 439

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Daniel, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Daniel

Daniel Reader

Hi Lucky,

First of all, thanks for your awesome blog! I've been reading it for some time and every time I browse your site I find something enjoyable to read.

I have a question about which frequent flyer program to pick, though: I live in Munich and fly to SFO about 2-4 times a year for (more likely 2 times), sometimes also to NYC or London. My company's fare cap allows me to get a discounted Business class ticket most of the time and I wonder which airline frequent flyer program / alliance would be the best for me in terms of status and award flights or upgrades (flying to NYC or SFO from Germany with my girlfriend). Last year I've been flying with Lufthansa but their discounted Business class tickets only give 100% miles and the Miles&More awards and upgrades are quite expensive. This year, though, I had the pleasure to fly with Virgin Atlantic to NYC (via LHR) and it was quite phenomenal, plus Flying Club seems to be better in terms of obtaining status, gives more miles per flight and awards / upgrades cost less miles. So is Flying Club the optimal program for me or are there even better ones?

Thanks a lot,
    Daniel

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Daniel -- Well Virgin Atlantic isn't a very convenient airline if you're looking to fly to/from Munich. In your shoes I'd probably consider either United MileagePlus or Lufthansa. If you fly United metal flights then you'd now be award miles based on your revenue, so you might just come out ahead depending on how expensive your tickets are. While I don't love either program, in this case the routes you fly seem to dictate which airline makes most sense, at least to some degree.