ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 48

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Adit, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Adit

Adit Reader

Hey all,

When we call customer service numbers, almost always you get a recorded message informing us that the conversation may be recorded or monitored. But given the terrible telephone customer service a number of people have been complaining of lately (and for some reason every second complaint seems to be about United), I wonder if we can turn the tables around.

You cannot record a conversation without the other party knowing, but what if when the agent came on, we also repeated the message line for line and let them know that this call is being recorded.
    I wonder if the quality of the call and helpfulness of the agent would jump up. Granted the agent could say no to recording the call, in which case you cannot continue to record. But you can point out the irony, and then hang up and call back with a different agent.

I only did this once myself- a decade ago- when AA was not crediting me for some miles on Cathay Pacific after telling me that they would. I got (with permission) the conversation recorded and then there was no he said- she said; it was he said and he corroborated what they really said.

Any thoughts?