ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 554

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by janet caldwell, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Hi lucky! I'm a long time reader of your blog! It is so helpful....and YOU have been so helpful TWICE before getting my family of four to Europe in the last 3 years!
    I'm trying to plan our third trip in May back to Europe (daughter graduating from Pepperdine and husbands 50th)
    My question is this: I've been trying to decide if I should go the Avios way (new for me)...with the AMEX bonus right now & if I book soon, I can get in before the devaluation. I have 180,000 AMEX. I've checked Expert Flyer and there's some availability ORD-DUB (Since all of your wonderful posts, Boston's out of the picture as far as availability it seems) Then we would fly DUB-DUS and DUS-NYC.
    My calculations put that at needing 191,500 Avios or 138,000 AMEX transferred and 54,000 bonus points (the 40% promo)
    I would use SW points and companion passes to get us back to LAS where we live.

Is that the best use? Or should I go with an airline that has stopover potential, say ORD-FRA with a stopover in DUB? American? Aeroplan?
    Coach is fine...I mean I would prefer Business class but there are 4 of us.....

thanks Lucky. You really are a treasure!

Janet

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ janet caldwell -- Thanks for the kind words! If the availability is there then I'd say that's a fantastic option, and is definitely what I'd do. That being said, do keep in mind that the availability ExpertFlyer shows for Aer Lingus travel is different than what BA has access to. The only way to find out BA's Aer Lingus availability is to call BA directly.

Enjoy the trip!