ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 563

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Brian, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Brian

Brian Reader

Lucky, I'm a London-based BA Gold card holder. I book a lot of TATL premium economy and until now loved the ability to upgrade using Avios. But that's getting a lot more expensive with the devaluation, to the point where I'm not sure it's even worth it to upgrade. I also fly a fair bit of discounted intra-Europe economy for business and pleasure, often availing myself of buy-ups to Club Europe to accelerate my tier points earning. I occasionally also buy AA domestic first when it's cheap, because it's a cost-effective way to get Tier Points. Given those habits, it's pretty certain I wouldn't make AA EXP even though I regularly make BA Gold. Still, I'm thinking of doing an AA status challenge and crediting my flying over there. My typical redemption pattern is using BA Amex 2-4-1 vouchers to fly BA First long-haul with my partner. That will still be an OK-ish deal with the new award chart. But the changes really do suck. What do you think? Should I move over to crediting with AA instead of BA? Or do I wait to see how their post-merger deval shakes out? There would be some switching costs of moving to AA, and I would likely have to settle for PLT. Thoughts?

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Brian -- That's a toughie. As a BA Gold you at least get oneworld Emerald status, so have good lounge access. With American it's anyone's guess what happens after this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see earning rates for BA matched, given their transatlantic joint venture. It won't happen overnight, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it next year. So does the new BA program suck? Yep. But I probably wouldn't switch, sadly.