ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 86

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by bluecat, Jan 5, 2015.

1. bluecat

bluecat Reader

Hi Lucky,
    I'm booking UA award travel to Europe for my two sisters. They are coming from different west coast cities and will meet in MIA, where their flights get in at 11PM. The continuing flight is at 5PM the next day (to LIS).
    I can't get this itinerary to show on the website (possibly because one of the carriers is TAP). But when I call it in, the agent says that there is a new layover rule that "sometimes" a layover is counted as a stopover if over 12 hours. She said it had to do with how the "routes show up in the system".
    I thought there was a hard and fast rule about "if < 24 hours, it's NOT a stopover".
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ bluecat -- It's a case where you may have to hang up and call again. I believe you're correct and that a 24 hour layover should be fine, though the computer sometimes doesn't auto-price it that way. It may take a lot of calling to get an agent willing to manually price it, though.