ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 885

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Pete, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete Reader

Hi Lucky, I had a question regarding earning miles on United, which apparently they are not able to help me out with. I flew with an A class ticket on a recent domestic flight and their website states I should receive 175% award mile earnings (http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Marketing/CustComm/Promotions/Pages/united.aspx). I'm also Platinum so should receive a 75% bonus.

For example on my EWR to LAX flight I expected to receive 2,454 base miles, another 4,295 for A class, plus 1,841 for my Platinum bonus, although I received 2,454 base, plus 3,681 total bonus (not broken down by A class bonus vs. Platinum bonus). Their mileage calculator on the bottom of the page linked above though, states I should have received 7,975 in total (2,454 base, 3,681 bonus, and then 1,841 for my Platinum bonus.

Can you help explain what is right here? I was on the phone with MileagePlus for over an hour and they kept referencing the miles I received were right, but couldn't explain it. Appreciate any clarification on this.

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Pete -- The miles that posted are correct. You receive a 175% of the flown miles (~4,300 miles) plus the Platinum bonus (~1,800 miles).