ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 886

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Ben, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ben

Ben Reader

Hi Lucky - I am a US expat working in Dubai and trying to plan some flights back to the US over the Christmas/New Year's period. I have a ton of United miles, and the only flights with "Saver" award availability from DXB back to the NYC in late December appear to be on Egyptair - 80k miles each way or 160k roundtrip. This is a good deal, but, it requires connecting through Cairo on the way back to New York.

I am still a newbie to the Middle East and have never been to Cairo. Looking for an honest opinion here: with the recent unrest, would you feel comfortable as an experienced traveler but nevertheless a non-Muslim, American citizen, connecting through Cairo on Egyptair? Nothing to worry about or perhaps a pause for concern? Thank you in advance.

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Ben -- 110% safe, especially if you're just connecting. I've stayed overnight there several times and always felt very safe, but if just connecting you're definitely fine, in my opinion.