ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Seeking help with award search SFO TO BKK

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by WWCHEN, Jan 22, 2020.

1. WWCHEN

WWCHEN New Member

Hi there! Looking for help on how I can best search and redeem for 2 business class tickets (even on connections) for honeymoon for late 2020. I have 540K UR points and 200K MR points. Not looking to use a ton of points as I would like to save some for future trips, My initial searches have been on United and Aeroplan. Any advice on best options and searching for award availability? Many thanks.

2. Clem

Clem Member

United is definitely a good place to look around, not a whole lot of availability for 2 though since travel to South East Asia is pretty popular at that time of the year. You should also search on Singapore Airlines, which partners with both UR and MR and has (I believe) better award availability for their own members than for partners - I spotted a few dates with availability for 2 in November/December.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. WWCHEN

WWCHEN New Member

Thanks for the advice! 95K points x2 for 2 one way on Singapore Airlines is a lot of points! (haha) I was trying to see what's the least amount of points I can use to book. I was also trying to look if I can book an open jaw ANA itinerary SFO-BKK, SIN-SFO to use the least amount of total points (200K MR points to ANA?), but almost everything is wait-listed. Tough searching...

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Also use Scott's Award Maximizer to see how many miles various programs takes. It doesn't cover all of them but it does quite a few. Keep in mind it doesn't take into consideration routing rules, etc. (For example, if you have a connection using Avios as your currency, that's 2 separate awards.) But it'll certainly give you a starting place.

5. WWCHEN

WWCHEN New Member

Thanks! I'll definitely take look!