ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating Singapore Suites or Emirates First?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AndrewGl, May 18, 2015.

1. AndrewGl

AndrewGl New Member

My wife and I plan to fly to NYC to Abu Dhabi on Etihad A380 First Apartment next year using AA miles.
    We will make our way up through Turkey, Greece, and Italy and return on one of the following options:
    - Singapore Suites from Frankfurt
    - Emirates First from Milan

Which option would you pick between the two?

A deciding factor would be whether or not I could book a roundtrip with AA miles using Etihad to Abu Dhabi and returning on Singapore from Frankfurt, can that be booked as one roundtrip award?

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

AA is oneworld where as Singapore is Star Alliance and neither airline has a separate partnership. Emirates' only US partner is Alaska Airlines. In short, you cant book that as a round trip award simply since the airlines arent partners.

You would have to book the Etihad with AA miles as a one way trip and then use Alaska's MileagePlan miles for MXP-JFK on EK or transfer points directly to Singapore's program for the FRA-JFK flight

If you have to use AA miles for the return, your options from Europe are Air Berlin, British Airways, Iberia or Finnair. BA/IB have fuel surcharges but not sure about Air Berlin or Finnair.

Lucky/Tiffany, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. AndrewGl

AndrewGl New Member

4. AndrewGl

AndrewGl New Member

I'm assuming I would have to book with Krisflyer for Singapore and Alaska for Emirates but didn't know if the partial round trip would be possible for some reason.

5. AndrewGl

AndrewGl New Member

It seems like the shower is the only reason to pick Emirates over Singapore. But I've never flown either, thus my main question.

6. David W

That page links to a list of airlines you're able to purchase flights for, directly on aa.com, not award redemption airlines. AAdvantage redemption partners are here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/airlines/main.jsp

Emirates F vs Singapore F is a more subjective question so I'll leave that to Lucky.

Tiffany likes this.
  7. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

AndrewGI, AA might be able to ticket paid flights on SQ but you can't redeem your miles for Singapore flights.

Tiffany likes this.
  8. AndrewGl

AndrewGl New Member

Thanks for the link David. Much appreciated. I am new to AA as a previous Delta Platinum and current United Platinum.

9. David W

AAdvantage, Singapore and Alaska all allow one-way travel so as long as there is availability on your dates, you should be able to book it.
    I'd just make sure you're booked on the A380 on Etihad since as of now its a mix between their A380 and a Jet Airways B77W. Singapore only flies the A380 between JFK and FRA. EK will be flying A380 on JFK-MXP beginning June 2015 I believe

Tiffany likes this.
  10. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Yep, this is exactly right!

You can purchase revenue tickets for Singapore Airlines on aa.com, but you can't redeem AAdvantage miles for flights on Singapore. They could definitely have worded that better.

The great news is that all the programs you're looking at price one-way awards at half the price of a round-trip! So while you can't book a round-trip through AAdvantage with a return on Singapore or Emirates, you're also not penalized by booking the return through other carriers.

In terms of which product is better...They're unique, but I really don't think you can go wrong either way, particularly if you haven't done either. Do both carriers have award availability over your dates?